Jimmy Carter gave up his peanut farm when he became president to avoid even the possibility of a conflict. Just saying.
Here’s this week’s Actions & Links.
Part 1: What Can We Do Now?
- By tomorrow: Get an audit. Senator Warren has sent the GAO asking for an audit of the brazen conflicts of interest inherent in the Trump regime, and for some adult oversight of the “chaotic” transition. Send an e-mail to Katherine Siggerud (email@example.com) and Timothy Minelli (firstname.lastname@example.org) asking for an audit.
- By Friday: Presidential pardons. Several action-oriented groups are focusing this week on a common goal: asking the president to pardon people sentenced under the extremely harsh, discriminatory old crack/cocaine laws who would be free if sentenced under the laws that exist today. President Trumpski sure isn’t going to do anything here, so let’s push while we’ve got time. Call 202-456-1111 and ask the president to commute these sentences.
- By Sunday: Some light reading. Read this. The whole thing.
Part 2: Mixed Media
- Egregious anti-democracy action you probably haven’t heard of: The House Oversight Committee quietly closed its muted hearings into the Republican government of Michigan’s egregious failure to provide clean water to Flint. The result: a friendly letter to the Appropriations committee. After a year of refusing to take any real action. Apparently poisoning children isn’t nearly as important as, you know, e-mails.
- Easy to forward clip to family and friends: Enjoy this delightful letter from the hate-group Family Research Council that claims “the Obama administration has systematically filled the ranks of State with LGBTQ  activists.” So, of course, the next secretary of state has to “ferret out” (yes, they use that phrase) these civil servants. Nothing like a good witch hunt, eh?
- Coward of the week award: North Carolina Republicans.
- Hero of the week award: California Governor Jerry Brown, who vowed to fight Trump on climate change with the power of the world’s sixth largest economy. “We’ve got the scientists, we’ve got the lawyers and we’re ready to fight. . . [and] if Trump turns off the satellites, California will launch its own damn satellite.”
- Here’s your pro-democracy, pro-America pump-up song of the week: This one’s for you, Jerry.