I have a friend in a deep red state, who’s been fighting extremely hard – and successfully – to push through change on city councils and the state house. When I asked him how to not succumb to despair, he responded “winning.” Let’s keep up the fight.
Part 1: What Can We Do Now?
- By tomorrow: Enjoy Recess. CAP just put out a recess toolkit. Pick a few items from it and help make sure your legislators here from you.
- By Friday: Georgia 6th Special Election. Jon Ossoff, a Democrat, is making waves with his run in the heavily Republican Georgia 6th. The special election is Tuesday, April 18th. Consider helping him out.
- By Sunday: Thank the LA Times. Out on the west coast, the LA Times has kept up the pressure on Trump with a series of in-depth analyses. Send Editor-in-Chief Davan Maharaj a note supporting their efforts.
Part 2: Mixed Media
- Egregious anti-democracy action you probably haven’t heard of: This is what happens when money = speech.
- Easy to forward clip to family and friends: The Syria strike makes it painfully obvious how many Republicans in Congress are putting party before country, using their own words from when they criticized President Obama. Here’s our long-time Coward, Jason Chaffetz.
- Coward of the week award: Senator John McCain, who said eliminating the filibuster was a “bad day for democracy,” and then voted for it anyway.
- Hero of the week award: Senator Kirsten Gillibrand, who continues to stand up for us with straightforward honesty.
- Here’s your pro-democracy, pro-America pump-up song of the week: In support of Jon Ossoff.